Menu

ICT (Computing)

OCR GCSE Computing

This is a two year course with an externally assessed exam in the summer of the second year.  There are two controlled assessments that total 60% of the overall grade with the exam making up the other 40%. 

Extra information on the qualification can be found here

 

Topic Sample Activities
Fundamentals of computer systems
  • A look at how computer systems work
  • Investigations into reliability and testing of computer systems
  • Learning about the ethical, legal and environmental concerns regarding computer systems
Computing hardware
  • Learning about the central processing unit (CPU) and how it works
  • Understanding binary logic
  • Learning about a variety of input and output devices
Software
  • Investigating different types of software
Representation of data in computer systems
  • Investigating how different types of data; images, sound, text, numbers are represented in computer systems
  • Understand how instructions are interpreted by a computer
Databases
  • Investigating the database concept and how to design databases
  • Understanding database management systems (DBMS)
Computer communications and networking
  • A look into networks and their advantages and disadvantages
  • Learning about how networks are structured and how they are used in modern life


EDEXCEL GCSE ICT

This is a two year course culminating in a 1 hour 30 minute exam in the summer of the second year.  The exam represents 40% of the overall grade.  60% of the grade is through a 40 hour controlled assessment that runs all the way through the course and is to be completed by the end of the first term in the second year.

More information on the course can be found here

 

Topic

Sample Activities
My phone
  • Learning about personal digital devices with a focus on mobile phones
  • Investigating the digital divide
Shop and drop
  • A look into online shopping and the advantages and disadvantages compared to traditional shopping
  • Learning about online security risks
My time
  • Investigating the benefits of home networks
  • Learning about multimedia in the home
My space
  • Learning about online services such as social networks and online communities
  • Understanding how to stay safe online
Any time anywhere
  • Discussion work around the possible drawbacks of technology in society
  • Investigating issues relating to the use of ICT
Using digital tools
  • This is a controlled assessment task where students produce a variety of different digital products such as spreadsheets, videos, podcasts, print designs, web sites etc.