ARCHIVED - Year 7 Catch-up PremiumBack to Key Information
[PLEASE NOTE - THIS PAGE IS NO LONGER UPDATED AND IS ONLY HERE FOR REFERENCE]
What is the Catch-up Premium?
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading or maths at the end of key stage 2 (KS2).
All state-funded schools with year 7 pupils receive this funding. The money is to be used by schools to deliver additional tuition or intensive support in small groups, giving pupils valuable support to bring them up to speed so that they are more likely to succeed at secondary school.
The funding will not be ring-fenced for catch-up activities. It is used for additional literacy and numeracy catch-up during Year 7 given that this can make a profound difference to pupils at this important stage.
In 2017 to 2018, funding was allocated to schools on the basis that they receive the same overall amount of year 7 catch-up premium funding received in 2016 to 2017. It will be adjusted to reflect the percentage change in the size of their year 7 cohort, based on the October 2017 census.
The DfE have stated that the catch-up premium will continue in 2018/19. It will be releasing more information relating to 2018/19 "in due course".
How do we use the funding at Babington?
The additional funding is used at Babington to fund the following:
- Catch-up reading
- After-school literacy and numeracy
- Intensive literacy and numeracy programmes at key points throughout the year
What is Catch up Literacy?
This is an intervention strategy for pupils whose reading age is significantly below chronological age. The programme is designed to support students with reading ages below 9.0.
Catch-up Literacy helps to improve:
The strategy is for all students.
The programme is delivered twice a week for 15 minutes. Sessions are split into three distinct parts. The first and second sessions may be longer as in-depth assessments are needed before students start the programme. Catch Up literacy is delivered either in Learning Support, the Library or in a convenient room near the classroom.
The funding is also used for training and to purchase books for the programme.
Intensive Catch Up Literacy 2017-2018
20 students finished Catch-Up Literacy = 70 levels progress were made
- 1 student made 8 levels progress which is 48 months
- 1 student made 6 levels progress which is 36 months
- 3 students made 5 levels progress which is 30 months
- 2 students made 4 levels progress which is 24 months
- 10 students made 3 levels progress which is 18 months
- 3 students made 1 level progress which is 6 months
Students that are still on Catch Up or started over the year:-
- 24 students made 1 level progress which is 6 months
- 2 students made 2 levels progress which is 12 months
- 1 student made 3 levels progress which is 18 months
- 1 student made 4 levels progress which is 24 months
Catch Up Numeracy
Catch Up Numeracy is designed to provide a focussed boost to knowledge, skills and techniques. Students build confidence in answering questions, apply the correct skills required in more complex questions and build confidence in using Numeracy skills.
Aims of the 2017/2018 Course:
- Build confidence in answering questions
- Apply correct skills required in more complex questions
- Build confidence in using Numeracy skills
- Practice working as part of a group to achieve a common goal
Outcome of intensive course
- Focussed sessions on key topics
- Daily practise and monitoring
- An individualised revision plan
- The confidence to approach topics students may have missed
- Polish techniques and learn new ones
- Differentiated approach to ensure that all students are challenged
- Build confidence and daily practise
After taking part in the 2017 course, almost 70% of students improved their scaled score in addition to 100% achieving improved levels of numerical confidence.
Student Voice after taking part in the Catch Up Numeracy Programme
“My favourite part was understanding questions and knowing that I have learnt a lot of things I didn’t quite understand”
“You have made me improve more in the last week”
“It has helped me in all ways to understand the things that I was struggling on”
Looking forward - Catch Up Literacy and Numeracy 2018-2019
Intensive Literacy and Numeracy weeks will take place for those year 7 students who are not achieving the expected standard throughout the year, as needed.